Contact: Canyon Ryan
United Tenants of Albany
UNITED TENANTS NAMES CANYON RYAN AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
As Rent Prices Increase and Evictions Rise, UTA is a Vital Resource
(Albany, NY, May 18, 2022) The Board of Directors of United Tenants of Albany (UTA) have announced the appointment of Canyon Ryan as Executive Director. Canyon previously worked alongside tenants at UTA in the capacities of Housing Counselor, Emergency Rental Assistance Program Coordinator, and Interim Program Director. He is originally from Syracuse, NY and is very familiar with the housing challenges that pervades the upstate cities across New York State. He received his Associate degree from Onondaga Community College and both a B.A and Masters of International Affairs from the State University of New York at Albany. Canyon has been active in community organizing and government for many years. Canyon’s diverse skills and experiences will continue to support and enhance United Tenant’s vital role in the Capital District in empowering tenants and recognizing housing as a human right in our community.
United Tenants of Albany United Tenants of Albany (UTA) is a community-based nonprofit organization that has worked for more than forty years to improve housing conditions, both in terms of safe physical conditions and tenants’ rights for security and equity. The mission of UTA is to protect tenants’ rights for safe, decent and affordable housing, with special emphases on those who have the greatest need or who experience the most severe problems and to promote the development and preservation of more affordable housing. UTA responds to calls from throughout the Capital District and concentrates its activities in low and moderate-income neighborhoods.
- Schuyler Apartment tenants fight landlord over living conditions
- Overturning Good Cause Eviction, Treating Addiction in New York
- Advocates say losing Albany eviction law hurts renters
- What’s next in the legal tussle over Albany’s overturned eviction law
- United Tenants Responds To Court Striking Down Good Cause Eviction Law
- Landlord rights nonprofit expands into upstate New York
- Laws protect tenants from rising rent
- Skyrocketing rent costs threaten Albany’s low-income renters
- Albany County lawmakers consider how to meet housing needs
- Close to 1,500 Albany area families face unknown as eviction moratorium ends
- United Tenants of Albany Improving Tenants Conditions
- Tenants, landlords prep for law’s end
- More than 60% of applicants denied NY’s rent relief
- New state funding for landlords whose indebted tenants vacated during COVID
- Landlords, tenants, advocates worry about rent during coronavirus
- SINGLE MOTHER CLAIMS ILLEGAL EVICTION FROM TROY LANDLORD. OUTRAGE FOLLOWS
Evictions 101 in New York State – A CDDSA and UTA Training Collaboration
A Second Wave: Housing During the COVID Pandemic
Housing Justice Pop Up Action
Eviction Resistance Rally
Community Call Outs: Code Violator of the Month
All requests for assistance are handled through the Housing Hotline. Tenants seeking assistance can reach our Housing Hotline at (518) 436-8997 extension 3. A housing counselor will return calls in the order they are received. We appreciate your patience while we respond to high call volumes. Requests and questions can also be sent to email@example.com.
Stay in the Know
Join our Mailing List!